Diabetes Today: an update for healthcare professionals is a continuing education course that provides current information about diabetes and hyperglycemia care and management for professionals who provide care for people with diabetes or stress hyperglycemia. This is an aggressive program developed by the ediba Diabetes Center of Excellence with continuously evolving and revised content.
- Increases awareness of diabetes and hyperglycemia in health care facilities and "changes the culture" regarding diabetes/hyperglycemia care and management.
- Has been offered since 1997 and has reached over 7,000 healthcare professionals.
- Is an integral part of ediba's inpatient program and has enabled us to help hospitals decrease lengths of stay, improve quality of care, and increase revenues.
|| Inpatient Management of Diabetes and Hyperglycemia|
|| Crisis Management—Hypoglycemia, DKA, HHS|
|| Long Term Complications|
|| Management Strategies|
The goals are for healthcare professionals to:
- be empowered to implement, as well as advocate the highest recommended standards of diabetes management practice in caring for patients in both the inpatient and outpatient settings
- be able to apply the knowledge gained from the course in improving clinical care of people with diabetes through enhanced problem solving and decision making, allowing timely intervention in problems related to diabetes management.
The intended audience includes all healthcare professionals who care for diabetes patients—nurses, dietitians, pharmacists, social workers, physical therapists, physician assistants, physicians, and others.
Lorri Carter, MA, RD, LD, CDE
Susan Mitchell, MS, APRN, CNS, CDE